On-Page SEO Techniques for Ecommerce Product Pages
The e-commerce business is a very competitive niche in the digital world.
E-commerce owners have hundreds if not thousands of products on their e-commerce websites.
SEO has the highest ROI for any e-commerce campaign and 95% of the consumers click on organic listings from their search results.
To increase the ROI of your website, you need to optimize your product pages well enough.
In this article, you’ll learn everything you need to know to optimize your product pages for your e-commerce store.
Here are some easy SEO tips to follow for your e-commerce product pages:
- Optimize Your Product Name
- Optimize Your Product Page URL
- Optimize Your Product Title Tag
- Optimize Your Product Page H1 Tag
- Optimize Your Product Page Meta Description
- Optimize Your Product Page Breadcrumb Menu
- Optimize Your Product Description
- Optimize Your Product Image
- Optimize Your Product schema
- Product Reviews and Ratings
- Similar Product Selling
Optimize Your Product Name
Before adding the product name, do some keyword research and check the monthly searches on that specific product name. Each word in the name is a potential keyword for organic search.
This will help you generate organic traffic more quickly than you would by putting your product name without any analysis of keyword research.
Make your product name longer by adding their characteristics. This is because longer product names make it easier for customers to find exactly what they’re looking for.
Optimize Your Product Page URL
Product URL Should be the first thing that you need to care for. However, it is not a very big SEO factor. But as per Google guidelines, URLs should be search engine-friendly as well as relevant for visitors.
If your product URL is clear about your product, then it will be helpful for Google’s search engine.
You should follow this SEO-friendly URL structure:
- Short and descriptive without unnecessary characters
- Use “-” to separate the different words of the URL in place of underscore ”_”
- Use only lowercase characters in URLs
- Avoid using words like “a,” “an,” and “the”, in the URL.
- Include product characteristics like the brand name or colour but do not do too much.
Here is an example of an SEO-friendly product URL https://www.myntra.com/sports-shoes/adidas/adidas-men-grey-erdiga-40-running-shoes/6841945/buy
And here’s an example of a non-SEO-friendly product URL: https://www.lifestylestores.com/in/en/Ginger/Shoes/Women/Casual-Shoes-and-Slip-Ons/LIFESTYLE-GINGER-Perforated-Lace-Up-Casual-Shoes/p/1000007221819?gclid=CjwKCAjw1_PqBRBIEiwA71rmteSrSDsSeUTMMbJZqgWoQ-46XNJaF7wMNc6F4Ch2QoP4-rWy8kQZGBoCt-sQAvD_BwE
Optimize Your Product Title Tag
This is the most important element you can optimize for your product. Use your product and keywords (that people can search to buy your product) in your title tag within 60 to 65 characters including space.
If you put more than 65 characters in your title tag, though it won’t show an error, Google will only show 60-65 characters in its search results and if it is too long, Google starts using random
text from your content to show on the search results page.
Note: In some cases, Google also shows the title tag by 68 or 70 characters, but the best advice is to create your title within 65 characters with space.
Optimize Your Product Page H1 Tag
Header tag defines the hierarchy of any page and these are used in the form of H1 to H6. At the time of the crawling of the page search engine, check the relevancy of the header tags with the content associated with it.
From all header tags, H1 is the most important header tag which defines the main topic of the page.
For the product page of your e-commerce website, your product name should be in the H1 tag as it revolves around a particular product.
After that, for product description, you can use H2 for it. Similarly, you can use H3, H4, H5, and H6 to maintain the hierarchy of the page.
Most of the cases in e-commerce websites do not use H3, H4, H5, and H6 as it is not compulsory to use all tags but the use of an H1 tag is highly recommended.
It is recommended to use only 1 H1 tag on a page and rest of header tags you can use multiple.
Put your product name in the H1 tag to get the desired results.
Optimize Your Product Page Meta Description
Search engines show the meta description in their search results, highlighting the keywords being searched. It should be concise in 155 to 160 characters with space.
It is not a ranking factor like Title tag but meta description can be responsible for CTR. If it is very good as per buyer, then your CTR will increase and if it is not, CTR may decrease.
Writing meta description for your product page is a bit easy because you are not going to write about the whole website, you need to put in information about your product only.
Things to include in the meta description for your product page:
- Product Name
Every page should have a Meta description, otherwise, if you leave it blank, the search engine will pick random text from your page.
Optimize Your Product Page Breadcrumb Menu
In e-commerce websites, site hierarchy is a little complex, so in that case, breadcrumbs are useful tools to enrich the user experience. It also helps search engines understand about internet structure of your product page like the product related to category and subcategory.
It does not provide directly any magical boost in your SEO but yes it’s beneficial in many other ways.
It also provides a chance of appearing in the SERP to facilitate user more.
Optimize Your Product Description
Product description should be:
- Search engine-friendly
- Interesting for user
- Unique, it is bad practice to use the same product description for two products.
- You should describe more and cover every angle of your product because there is no one golden rule about the word length of product descriptions.
- Keyword should be used in your product description in a natural way not for over spamming
- Answering related questions
When you follow the above tips, ensure to focus more on how this product will benefit the consumer. To write about this, you need to understand your consumers, their needs, desires, trends, problems, and benefits they look for.
While writing your product description and details, optimize your content for keywords
Optimize Your Product Image
Using poor quality images can drive the customer away. High-quality images are highly recommended for your product. With the quality, you need to also maintain the size of the product image on each page.
Now the most important element of image for SEO is Alt Text or alternative text or Alt Tag. As we know, search engines do not read or understand images, alt tags can help them understand all about the images.
Some tips for better use of alt text:
- Don’t use direct keyword in your alt text like “buy sunglasses online”
- Either only use product name or you can also describe in short caption about your image.
If possible, try to use videos about your product which is more interesting for the consumer, also you can get a chance to increase the conversion.
Optimize Your Product schema
These days, the use of product schema mark-up is very popular among e-commerce marketers.
It’s also called structure data and it is used to highlight the data item from your product page so that search engines can read and understand the data about your product in a better way.
You can use your product Name, Size, Price, Color, Offer, Rating, Reviews, Availability and much more. For more items for your product’s structure data, you can visit https://schema.org/Product
In the above example, you can see the results of schema mark-up implementation. It enhances your snippets in the SERP and helps to increase CTR (Click Through Rate) as it is interesting for the consumers, so they are likely to click more on these snippets-rich URLs in the search results.
Product Reviews and Ratings
As product reviews generate trust factors among consumers for products, they are one of the most important things that can help in the conversion process. More positive reviews mean more chances to sell your products.
Some tips for rating and review:
- It only helps if it looks real and positive. Encourage your customers to submit a review after using the product. There are many marketers who are running a campaign like an email or text messages to their customers for review.
- Below the product name, you can also highlight the total number of reviews and ratings.
- The product review should be on the same page of the product.
- Try to provide a name, image or more as possible information about the reviewer.
- Don’t use fake reviews. It can be easily spotted by users and search engines also.
- Use the total number of review and rating in your schema mark-up, which will show in the SERP
Similar Product Selling
Add internal linking for your product page. You can display matching products or related product or similar products.
You can also display what other people purchased that is related to the viewed product. It can also help to generate more traffic.
If you want to have a fully optimized product page, you need to work on these points:
- Optimizing your product URL’s structure of the product page
- Optimizing your title tag and meta description
- Product name in the H1 tag
- well-structured page with a proper heading tag
- High-quality unique product images
- Unique, meaningful and detailed product descriptions
- Properly formatted breadcrumbs structure
- Product schema implemented and verified
- Product Reviews (with correct schema)
- Similar Product Selling